Deserted Villages by Rowland & Wood
Soft back, 72 pages, Illustrated B&W, 15cm x 21cm
The 'why and where' of thousands of small settlements abandoned due to disease and economic factors mainly but not entirely in the medieval period.
- List of deserted villages
- What is a deserted village?
- When and why were villages deserted?
- What do deserted villages look like?
- Archaeology and deserted villages
- How to discover deserted villages
- Where are the deserted villages?
- Further reading
On the back cover:
Villages have been abandoned throughout history, and in every part of the British Isles. Some of them are former towns; others were only ever small hamlets. Many still await discovery. This book explains how villages have become deserted, and describes how former houses, roads and fields can often still be recognised today. It describes how the archaeologist recovers and interprets the evidence and shows how everyone can become involved in discovering and recording sites. Some good examples of sites worth visiting are included.